April showers bring May flowers? Well, in this case – April flowers bring May showers.
Driving in the rain can be tricky for many drivers; whether you are an experienced driver or not, finding ways to drive safely in the rain can keep you, and other drivers protected on the roadway. Hydroplaning is one of the most common problems that drivers are trying to avoid when driving in the rain. Hydroplaning can happen when cars are driving too fast in the rain, especially in areas filled with water. Steering and braking in the rain can become difficult and may lead to an accident.
At Roadway Insurance we want our drivers to stay safe and insured when driving. Try to follow these key tips to stay safe while driving in the rain.
- Keep your headlights on. Drivers have limited visibility in heavy rain so keeping your headlights on can help other drivers see your care in heavy rain.
- Take your time. Don’t speed in the rain. Keeping a steady, slow pace can help minimize your risk of hydroplaning.
- Keep a safe following distance between your car and the car in front of you. If someone brakes or begins to hydroplane, keeping a safe following distance will give you more time to react. Try to keep 5 seconds between you and the car ahead of you when driving in the rain.
- If you do skid, don’t break. Breaking can make the car harder to control. If you do begin to skid, don’t panic. Look and steer where you want to go when skidding or hydroplaning.
- Don’t drive on cruise control. If you hydroplane on cruise control, your car will go faster. Make sure to take your car off of cruise control, before you start driving in the rain.
At Roadway Insurance we are committed to keeping our drivers safe and insured on the roads. Roadway Insurance has provided drivers in Maryland and Washington, DC with affordable, reliable coverage. Drivers can contact us online, by phone or in person. Roadway Auto has convenient locations throughout Maryland and Washington DC. To learn more about Roadway Insurance, contact one of our Roadway insurance specialists.