Driving distracted is currently defined as the practice of driving a motor vehicle while engaged in another activity, typically one that involves the use of a cellular phone or other electronic device. Other conventional distractions include changing music, eating, applying make-up, and disciplining children– are all still considered driving distractions that should be avoided when operating a motor vehicle.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration each day in the United States, more than 9 people are killed and more than 1,153 people are injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver. Roadway Insurance reminds you to drive smart and safe to avoid becoming statistic.
Here are some tips to Keep Your Focus on the Road:
- Always pull off the road to make or receive a call. Be sure to drive your vehicle to a safe area first. This also applies when caring for or disciplining children.
- If you have a passenger, have them do the dialing and talking.
- Keep the tone light while driving– don’t engage in emotional or stressful conversations.
- Eat before you drive. Food spills are a big culprit of moving your attention from the driving task at hand.
- Apply the lipstick before or after you drive– that goes for all grooming actions.
- Know where you are headed. Check maps and directions before you go.
- If you’ve got fido along for the ride, do not allow him to sit in your lap.
- Only drive when you feel alert and awake.
All drivers in Maryland are restricted from using a cell phone without a hands free device while operating a motor vehicle. The fine for a first offense is $40 and successive offenses $100. This law is a secondary offense, meaning that a driver must first be committing a primary offense such as speeding or reckless driving before they are ticketed for a cell phone offense. Texting laws prohibit its use entirely while traveling on the road.
Drivers in Maryland are also required to carry a minimum amount of auto insurance. Contact us and one of our experienced agents will help you get the coverage you need.