All states across the nation require vehicle insurance. To get your vehicle registered in Maryland, you must at minimum carry liability insurance. You are responsible for maintaining insurance for all of your vehicles with an insurance company licensed in the state of Maryland.
Minimum Coverage Required
Maryland requires that all drivers maintain minimum insurance liability coverage on their vehicles. The required amounts are:
- $30,000 for bodily injury per person
- $60,000 for bodily injury for two or more people
- $15,000 for property damage
Penalties for Not Being Insured
Maryland imposes hefty fines and penalties for driving uninsured such as:
- A $150 fine for the first 30 days and $7 for each additional day (annual $2500 maximum per uninsured vehicle).
- A suspended registration (driving with a suspended registration can result in vehicle impoundment, tickets and/or additional fines).
Having an uninsured vehicle in the state of Maryland can also cause you to:
- Be prohibited from renewing a suspended registration or registering any future vehicles until all insurance violations are cleared
- Lose license plates and vehicle registration privileges
- Pay a restoration fee of up to $25 to reinstate your registration
How to Get Coverage If You Have Been Turned Down
Roadway Insurance can provide coverage for your vehicle if you:
- Are unable to obtain car insurance with a private company
- Have been denied coverage by two or more carriers or reasons other than failure to make payments
- Are or will become a Maryland resident
- Are licensed in the state of Maryland and your vehicle registration is current
If you have a clean driving record – free of accidents and traffic violations, you may be eligible for the Roadway Safe Driver discounts. Discounts are offered to drivers who maintain continuous coverage of 12 or more months.
Driving uninsured in the state of Maryland is prohibited and can become very costly if you get caught. Don’t take the risk. Whether you are new to Maryland or have been turned down by private providers, Roadway will ensure you. No one is turned away. Contact us today to discuss an insurance plan that is right for you.