According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration more than 1,153 people are injured and more than 9 people are killed daily in crashes that involve a distracted driver in the United States. Young drivers are especially at risk of becoming a statistic and are more likely to talk and text when in the driver’s seat.
Distracted driving is defined by the US Government as “any activity that diverts a driver’s attention away from the primary task of driving– endangering driver, passenger, and bystander safety.” These activities include:
- using a hand held cell phone or smartphone
- eating or drinking
- engaging in conversations with passengers
- reading (indulging maps)
- adjusting music
- using a navigation system
Maryland state law prohibits texting and driving as well as the use of a hand held cellphone while driving. Don’t fall victim to distracted driving and become a statistic.
Take these tips to stay safe when behind the wheel:
- text before you go, then lock your cell/smart phone in a glove box or trunk where you can not access it to avoid temptation while driving.
- install a bluetooth device in your car to take emergency call or simply pull over to a space place.
- avoid the use of in-car technologies such as navigation systems; plan your route before you go.
- be a good passenger too, call out your friends and urge them to focus on driving and avoid distracting them with activities.
- eat before you go and if you must snack on the road, enjoy non-messy foods.
Driving is not a good time to multi-task. Instead, devote your entire attention to the task at hand. Make sure you and your vehicle are prepared for the road ahead.
Roadway Insurance reminds you that all drivers in Maryland are restricted from using a cell phone without a hands free device while operating a motor vehicle and texting laws prohibit its use entirely while traveling on the road. And don’t forget…drivers in Maryland are also required to carry a minimum amount of auto insurance. Contact us and one of our experienced agents will help you get the coverage you need.